Tuesday, May 25, 2010

In search of Zwieback Toast...

Have you ever tried this stuff for young teething babies?


It is AWESOME! Hard enough to feel good on teething gums, but eventually after being gummed long enough, small mushy pieces come off in baby's mouth and are a tasty treat. They don't break easily, so they are not a choking hazard, and are so dense that the pieces that baby does gum off are just small mushy safe-to-swallow pieces. My kids have all LOVED them, and since they chew for a while to get bites off, they keep them busy for a looooong time, which is a lifesaver during that classic "let's get cranky while Mom's making dinner" time.

Only one problem - THEY AREN'T SOLD ANYMORE!!! Aaaaaaaaa!!! I discovered this when I went to get a new box for Edward. I had originally found a box in the back of the cupboard from when Josephine was younger (yes, I fed my baby expired teething toast - bad mommy, bad mommy - but I swear they tasted just fine!). Anyhow, Edward LOVED them, and so I went to get more - no luck at Wegmans or Walmart. I looked them up online only to find out that both Nabisco AND Gerber stopped making them a year ago - BOO! There is basically no other product out there like them. And no, the Gerber Biter Biscuits are not a good alternative. They make a super nasty mess, and since big chunks break off, they are a choking hazard for young babies (I know this from personal experience, I am sorry to say). Eddie is obsessed with feeding himself lately, but all the options out there are too old for him - he just gags and chokes. What's a Mom to do?!


Well, while online, I fell upon a recipe for Zwieback toast, and since I was feeling adverturous, I decided to give it a try.

Yes, I know, mouth watering, isn't it. :)



I made a bunch, and it looks and smells and tastes almost identical to the stuff that I used to buy - I was so proud...

...too bad that after a few pieces, Edward decided that Zwieback toast was soooo last week, and he was ready for something new. He now uses the toast as a launching device everytime I offer it to him. Dang it.

So, my problem was unresolved. He wants so badly to feed himself, and whines and cries all through dinner, begging for us to throw him food until Lou gives in and feeds him tiny pieces of bread all meal long - this gets old very quick, because he constantly whines and tries to grab the whole piece and stuff it all in his mouth and choke himself to death. Silly boy.
Then I discovered these through some more online searching:


So far I've only seen them at Walmart and they are wonderful! Totally safe for younger babies - they dissolve almost instantly when bitten, so no choking hazard. Edward LOVES them!! The only problem I see is that he eats them too fast, so they don't keep him as busy as the Zwieback toast did, and are not as good as a teething option, but at least he gets his fill at feeding himself, which he is obsessed with lately. Anyhow, just wanted to share this great find with other Moms who might be having my same dilemma!

3 comments:

Crystal said...

Eden loved the Mum Mums! I like them because they are safe and no mess :) They do tend to get broken easily in the diaper bag, but I guess you can't have everything.

Bondis said...

I saw the Mum Mums at the Walgreens yesterday on James Street, and they totally made me think of you!

Unknown said...

Liam loves the Mum Mums, too! I am so impressed you made the toast... I didn't realize it was not on the market anymore!