I just found out recently that gas dryers cost half as much to run as electric ones. Who knew? Well, I didn't.
Okay, so here's the scenario:
You have an electric dryer. It's a Maytag, about six years old, and it runs great. It's an oversize capacity, which is nice because so is your washer, so it matches up great. You just recently paid a repairman $150 to replace one of the drum rollers (and minor repair, and very common), and were told by him that it's a great dryer, and should last about another seven years or so.
An energy consciense government-sponsored group in the area offers to swap your fairly new electric dryer out for a BRAND NEW GE gas one at NO COST TO YOU, but with only one catch - it would be smaller (large capacity instead of oversize capacity) than your electric one. Would you do it?
P.S. Yes, this is a real scenario - and the group is legitimate - we qualify for this program because of our income level and the number of people in our family.
9 comments:
Do you already have gas hook ups in your laundry room? How much will it cost to install gas hook ups if you don't? Can you pay the difference to get the large capacity? We have a gas dryer and I really like it. A large load usually dries in 30-40 minutes on the lowest heat, just air.
It all depends on the savings. In NY I can see why gas would be cheaper considering what I have noticed on my bill each month.
If it is 1/2 as expensive to run but you have to run it twice as long due to size are you really saving?
So it all depends on actual numbers. Post actuals and lets run some numbers to decide.
Both dryers should have a rating on them in lbs/kwh.
Depending on your electric rating and the new gas rating (they both will be rated in lbs/kwh, yes even the gas one) should help decide which is better over the long run.
Your other commenters seem much more knowledgeable on the matter than I... I guess as a lowly renter, who's never owned such sort of appliance, I really have no clue!
Our gas dryer died, but we had an electric dryer on hand from our last place. We had the basement rewired by a neighbor friend for free, but the parts were just under $100 (I know this is the opposite of your situation, but it might give you an idea). My electric bill has been the same or lower than last year. This doesn't take into consideration the warmer winter, etc., but all I'm sayin is I don't think it's going to make a HUGE difference in your bills. I've got the same number of kids as you and I wash diapers every three days, so I bet we have similar washing needs. So I say pick the dryer that makes you smile and go with it.
This question is officially out of my league. Good luck!
I think Julia and Scott both made very legitimate cases and to take their advice. But who can pass up anything FREE?? I know I can't...
I don't know. It is hard to say. If it will cost you less money, why not!?
Post a Comment