Sunday, November 8, 2009

New baby - bigger feet?!

Okay, warning, I am about to complain. I toughed my way through all the aches and pains of my third pregnancy, all the while having my eye on the prize - a beautiful healthy baby and bye bye to the physical discomforts of pregnancy. Well, one of my unfortunate side effects has decided to stick around - FOREVER. My feet have gotten bigger. I have heard of this happening to women as a result of pregnancy, but since I skated through two pregnancies without this side effect I thought I was safe. They got swollen a lot during this pregnancy, limiting my shoe choices to flip flops all summer long, but I figured - hey, no big deal, as soon as the baby's born, it will all go back to normal and I can go back to wearing my cute shoes. Well, they may not be swollen anymore, but I still can't wear my old shoes. Apparently, the extra weight gain this time around and the fact that I wore sandals all summer long, giving my feet ample room to s p r e a d was a deadly combination, and now my little feet aren't quite as little anymore. Besides the vanity factor (I like my little feet, thank you very much - they match my short frame quite well), there is the monetary issue (um, so I now to have replace my ENTIRE shoe wardrobe?!!!), not to mention the emotional one (I got a BEAUTIFUL pair of black patent leather Calvin Klein heels for Christmas last year that ran Lou over $90. I got to wear them for only one season, and will never fit them again...).

Am I stupid to be absolutely devastated over this? I have multiple pairs of shoes that I have gotten over the years as gifts from my husband and mother (who both know my love of cute shoes) that I absolutely adore (and that are, for the most part, quite pricey) that I can't wear anymore. I mean, what am I supposed to do with them - give them to the freaking salvation army? Um, no - I'm sorry, I refuse to donate $90 Calvin Klein shoes to the Good Will. And then there's the fact that I now have NO shoes to wear...if only I were rich I might think of this as a great excuse to go shopping. But I am NOT rich. That's why almost all my nice shoes are gifts from Chirstmas and Birthdays, because I could never just go out and get them on my own for no reason.

Okay, I know - I should stop complaining and just focus on my beautiful baby - he's healthy and perfect and...sigh - call me shallow, but seriously, I just can't stop mourning the loss of petite feet and all of my beautiful shoes... :(

5 comments:

melancholyjune said...

You have the RIGHT to complain. I'd be SO pissed if this happened to me, even if I don't have a huge shoe collection (yet). You can take your gently used nice shoes to a women's consignment or try craigslist (a pain) to sell them and use that $$ ti invest in some new kicks! I feel for ya!

thatmormonlady said...

My feet have gone up a size, too, but they did while I was prego with Sterling, too. Don't do anything drastic yet. Your body is still transitioning and they may go back to size. Mine did after Sterling. Give it a little while. When my ring fit again, so did my shoes. Hang in there.

Rachel said...

So sad! Consignment is a great idea, although it they're all a size 6, I know where you could find a good home for them... :)

I agree with Sarah--wait a little while to see what happens. You never can tell!

Tiffani said...

Yeah, that definitely stinks (not your feet--the situation)! I never thought of having an emotional attachment to shoes, but now that you explained, it totally makes sense! After two months or so, my feet went back to normal size. Keep your toes crossed ;o)

The Tolboe family said...

They may go back to normal! Give it time. Maybe once you start exercising, things will change. Give it time. I would give up on your cute shoes just yet!