So, we were at my mother-in-laws for dinner on Sunday. Good old Grandma Louise gave Maria this Wizard of Oz wand to play with. It was one of those toys that flashes lights and plays a tinny sounding electronic tune. Lou and I hated it instantly - it was playing this warbly, high-pitched, truly horrible sounding version of "Over the Rainbow". The pitch and sound quality were offensive-sounding at best and immediately annoying. Well, of course Maria just loved it, and spent the rest of the evening walking around and playing it over and over and over and over...well, you get the idea. Lou was getting more irritated by the minute and would tell her to turn it off, but after a few minutes of blissful silence, we would hear the sickening sound once more.
Well, I was trying to fix something on Louise's computer and Lou was looking at the paper, when all of a sudden we heard a thunk and a crash - it almost sounded like breaking glass. I turned around to see what had happened, and saw Maria splayed out on the floor with the wand in front of her, looking like this:

Well, Lou started laughing hysterically, and I have to admit, I couldn't stop the smile that immediately spread across my face. I thought "Hooray, problem solved! No more obnoxious toy to listen to!" Meanwhile, Maria was almost in tears, saying "it's not funny, it's NOT FUNNY, Daddy! Oh, my beautiful wand..." Oh contraire, Maria, it was SO funny, that I started laughing myself. I couldn't help but think that Lou and I had almost wished this event into reality, and I just couldn't stop laughing at the irony of it all. If you just could've seen it - the annoying music over and over, then suddenly the crash and Maria's and Lou's subsequent antics...maybe you had to be there...
So my question is, is it awful that we found this so amusing? I'm laughing now just thinking about it! Are we the most evil parents ever?
4 comments:
I feel you on this one. Clara has just a couple of toys that make noise, but every once in awhile she'll get into this rut of pushing the button over and over and over and over and over again until I feel like I'm going to go crazy! Too bad my bad karma hasn't broken any of her toys yet. :)
It seems like the noisy toys always come from grandma and grandpa, they aren't the ones that have to listen to it over and over again. Sometimes it is so hard to be a kid too!
I also loved your pumpkins! HURRAY HALLOWEEN!
i could hear you telling me lou was laughing but you robyn, you big meanie. i dont mind loudness at all. im crazy i know. well, i couldnt help but laughing too b/c for ppl who don't like loud toys, that would be a dream but poor maria! tell her if she visits me ill get her a new wand and she can play with it all day long. ha ha ha ha!~ i love you robyn!
Ah, I HATE those loud annoying toys that come from gramma and grampas.......we have too many around here, and I know Matt's dad buys them JUST to irritate us......the most annoying now is a Magnetic boom box that sticks to the fridge and plays the same songs over and over and over and over....and it is Jackson's favorite toy....one day I will get back at the grandparents! Funny story!
Post a Comment