Monday, August 31, 2009

Am I the only one? #52

This edition of "Am I the only one?" has nothing to do with children and more to do with one of my pet-peeves in general: peoples' sense of entitlement and absolute lack of common courtesy. I find that being the owner of a truck makes one a particular target for this sort of behavior - allow me to explain...

Just last night, Lou and I got home from dinner at my mother-in-laws and saw that there was a message on the machine. Here is what it said: "Hi Robyn, this is Ethel from church (she gave no last name, and I have changed her first name) - I need your truck. I am moving tomorrow, and Brother Smith (whose name has been changed) told me that you guys would let me use your truck, and I have to move tomorrow, so I need to use it. Call me back"

Now first of all, although I have seen this woman's name on the R.S. roster, I have never, I repeat, NEVER met her in or out of church, so it really kind of bugs me that she calls up and leaves a message like we are old friends. How the heck was I even supposed to know who was calling to demand our truck? Through a phone call to one of the members of the bishopric, I was able to find out who it was.

Second of all "I need your truck". Are you kidding me?! How about ASKING?!! "I need your truck" is a demand, not a request - rude by any standards, but even more so considering this woman and I have not even been introduced...

Third of all, besides all of the other rudeness in this message, she wants to be moved tomorrow night? Did she really JUST find out last night, or did she just wait till the last minute to think of calling and demanding the use of SOMEONE ELSE'S vehicle? I think a little more notice than this would probably be expected, especially since she didn't even have the courtesy to ask politely.

On a separate and yet related note, it is a serious pet peeve of mine when people who have not been to church in years (or the ones who attended one Sunday after baptism and then disappear) call in the "LDS moving company". I know, I know - this is NOT a very Christlike attitude, and it's not like we should only be serving those who are active LDS members. I just feel like there's this sense of entitlement with some members. They have no interest in committing to the gospel, let alone helping anyone else out in the church. They treat the church like a handout service that they signed up for by being baptized, showing up only when they need something, and then vanish again until the next crisis.

Now, on the other hand, I am continually amazed at all the charity work that the church has done around the world, and am so proud that so much service has been done after the many natural disasters that have plagued many a country in the last few years. The church doesn't do this to "get more members" or as means of proselyting - they do it simply to serve. But I feel like there is a distinct difference between going out there and offering help and someone coming to you and demanding it like it's owed to them. Does that make sense?
And, just an FYI that is not about church members but about people in general. If you have a truck already, you know this, but if you don't and you are thinking of buying one, I have a couple of things to warn you about - things that come with the truck that you don't realize you are signing up for...

#1) People will call you - a lot - to help them move furniture, appliances, lumber, the entire contents of their home, etc. Once you have a truck, it is presumed that you will always be available and willing to help with these things.

#2) People lie about what they need to be moved. They will tell you that it's "just a couch". You will show up and "just a couch" turns out to be anywhere from 6 pieces of furniture up to their entire apartment, which they will, with no shame at all, expect you to move (this has happened to Lou more times than I can count). This means that what you thought would take 30 minutes will take more like 3 hours. Hope you didn't have any plans that day/night.

#3) People will almost never offer gas money. To them, it's very simple. You own the truck, so you pay the gas, and give up your time, and do all the loading and unloading. After all, you're a truck owner, so that's what you are required to do. And I mean, hey, they called you to save money - so why would they pay for your gas? Lou one time got sucked into moving someone across town (this was one of those "it's just a couch" phone calls). He made about four trips in all, and was not even offered a thank you, let alone gas money.

Now for my disclaimer - lest you think that Lou and I are selfish and petty people, we are not. Lou does not mind helping people - he just wants to be extended some common courtesy when he does so. We have had plenty of friends who have asked us whom we were more than happy to assist, and Lou has offered himself plenty of times without even being asked. The thing I don't like is what I stated earlier - when people display a sense of entitlement and a complete lack of consideration for other peoples' time and resources.

And about those whom we have served that fall into the rude category, after I get over my frustration with my husband being taken advantage of again, I remind myself that no service goes unnoticed by Heavenly Father, that even if the recipient has no manners and is not grateful at all, that Heavenly Father is, and that is consolation on those days when peoples' rudeness makes me want to scream... :)

13 comments:

Becky said...

A big AMEN to this entire post - I'm with ya! *Note to self: don't buy a truck* ;)

Jenny said...

I second that Amen! Just a couple of weeks after we bought our truck it then hit me why it was so annoying having a truck in the past. I remember when we first moved into the ward "OH GOOD! You have a truck! We have a lot of people that need use for a truck!" haha as if it was already "the wards" truck.

melancholyjune said...

I was going to say, "Can I get an AMEN?!" but 2 people before me already did. You are 100% justified in how you feel. Almost makes you want to stop doing service because of people like that...

Eight is Enough said...

I miss the Syracuse Ward.

erin said...

I just started recently making my boys ask politely. I tell them you make a request not a demand. I am hoping it will carry over to using peoples' trucks.

thatmormonlady said...

Uh, yeah. And I recall there being a sense of entitlement in that ward about rides in general. Am I wrong?

Tiffani said...

You have a truck? Hey, would you be willing to . . . ? JUST KIDDING. Oh, my! That is astounding! I think the sense of entitlement is pervasive throughout all society, though, not just in the ward. I would have felt the same way that you did :o)

Juan, Krystal and Belen said...

Robyn i agree with you completely agree with you!!!

Bryan Family said...

So did you let them use your truck?

Robyn DeGaetano said...

Well, we never let people "use" our truck as in "driving it themselves" (insurance reasons), but yeah, Lou got a couple of guys to go with him and help...we are suckers sometimes, I guess...

Autumn said...

I have to admit that I have used and abused you guys. I'll never forget when Jeremy and Lou spent like all day fixing Jeremy's rotery-gerter? Then Lou came and did some wood work for a project I was doing. You guys are so generous and wonderful. Hope this makes you feel better about being used and abused.:)

Rachel said...

So funny. Jeremy said, "That's why I have 52 reasons to never own a truck." You are good people, you and Lou!

Cathy Duffy said...

Aren't you too short to ride a truck?? Jk... I can barely drive our van!