Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Am I the only one this stuff happens to?

This is an image that represents what my children are like lately when we go to the store - seriously...
Usually my children are pretty well behaved at stores, but all of sudden lately, they act like wild beasts that have been uncaged for the first time everytime we enter any sort of shopping arena.

Let me tell you a little story about my shopping trip yesterday. I had to exchange a couple of pairs of jeans that I bought for Lou (picky man that he is), and I had both of the girls with me. We were in Sears and I was looking for a different size for him. The girls were chasing each other around, but causing no real harm, and the store was dead, so I let them burn their energy out. All of a sudden I look up to see Maria crash straight into a clothing rack, knocking it over. On it's way down, it had a domino effect, knocking over the next rack, which knocked over the next rack, too. We now had three clothing racks (and one crying child) lying flat on the ground, with about 100 gazillion mens button-up shirts lying scattered all over the place. I was, as you can imagine, a bit peeved. I spent about 20 minutes helping the old lady employee put the whole thing back together again (in the fall, all three racks had come apart, and were lying in pieces).

After we exchanged the jeans, we headed over the to JCPenney to do another exchange. While we were there, Josephine peed herself, and, after announcing this, tried to climb one of the displays. Of course, she pulled the whole thing down on herself, manikin, metal bars, price displays, folded jeans and all. Another 15 minutes cleaning up that mess - all while apologizing profusely to the VERY annoyed salesperson helping me. At this point, I decided to forget about the exchanges and head home. Better to leave on your own than to be asked to leave, right? Sigh.


8 comments:

Adam, Crystal, Riley, Kaitlyn, Eden said...

My girls have been so bad at the store lately too. I now strap Kaitlyn down in a stroller or cart. Riley behaves well as long as my little angel Kaitlyn is strapped down. I can't wait to try shopping with three. The baby won't be able to escape for a while though.

Kristi the Book Lady said...

I was laughing so hard while reading this post!! I'm sorry - I know it's so frustrating, but they always make for great stories once it's over, right? You seem to deal with it so well - I'm not sure how I'm going to handle myself when those types of situations arrive with my kids! haha.

Unknown said...

So many times I feel like that at the store and just want to give up. I wonder why I try with my children, everyone is so much happier when I go alone. But who can find time for that ethier! Sigh!

Rachel said...

Great lunchtime entertainment for me and Jeremy! We laughed the whole time we read it. Jeremy said, "Wow--one of those things happening would be pretty amazing, but both of them? On the same day? That's really something." Amen.

Meli said...

i laughed the whole time too! im still laughing imagining it all up in my head. thats just plain hilaious!! i havent had anything like that happen but i remember talking abt this once with you after mothers group. everyone was complaining abt shoppoing withtheir kids and you and i spoke abt how we never have those moments and our children love going to the store...blah blah. well im with you sister. i dont take my children hardly anymore either. i dont know if its b/c i like to really take my time now and bargain shop and muse myself or if they just figured out they can try to get out of their carts or run away. nonetheless im with you. two things i do if i go to the mall and i really cant find anytime to go is promise them to ride the escalators if theyre good and two tell them what i expect out of them before going out such as theyre going to sty in the carts for a long long time or they can run around but if they go where i cant see them then there wioll be consequences. i usually go by myself but when i must those work for the most part. sorry abt the long blog. love ya!

Cort said...

Wow. I especially love your photo selection to go along with the story. Thanks for sharing!

Tiffani said...

Wow, Robyn. I want to come shopping with you! Sounds like great adventure! I'm sorry that you had to experience that trauma, though--that's one of my fears for the future--children who suddenly go berserk. Auugghhh!

Taunya said...

What an adventure! Shopping with kids has to be one of the most frustrating tasks.

By the way, thanks so much for the extra kind comments on my blog. You really made my day. Thanks!