Just in case there is any confusion as to what you are looking at, here is a closer look...
Yeah, my five-year-old scratched her name into the side of our new (okay, not new, but new to us) minivan with a stone - in six to ten-inch high letters, no less.
Well, needless to say I freaked out just a tad, telling her that her father was going to KILL her when he found out, how she was going to be punished for the rest of the day, asking her how she could be so stupid, etc. (Yes, I am the bad mother who asks her daughter how she could be so stupid - but on the upside, I did not spank the life out of her, which is what would have been my fate at her age had I done such a thing...)
Well, after I got done freaking out, I got online and searched to see if there was any hope of fixing this disaster. I found out that with some rubbing compound and a little bit of car wax, that I would be able to get most of the scratches out. I found some compound in our basement (how lucky!), and my sister loaned me some of her car wax. It took us about 20 minutes, and here are the results:
If you look on the right, you can still see some of the "A", but it's mostly all gone. If you know what you're looking for, you can still see traces of it, but as you can see, just looking at it dead-on, it's not really noticeable.
Voila! Almost all gone - phew (I notice in this picture that it looks like the repaired area is a totally different color than the door in front of it - it's not. It's just a weird shadow on the front part of the car). If you're thinking to yourself "Wow, Robyn, you're amazing!", you're right, I am! Okay, maybe not amazing (refer to comments above about the use of the word stupid in conjuction with one of my daughters - not one of my finer moments), but at least resourceful!
By the way, when I told Lou, not only did he not freak out, he laughed. How dare he...
7 comments:
Ok... so um.... That sound, I promise that is not me laughing. Honest, it isn't. It's... um.... ok, I am laughing. And it hurts. Terribly. But I can't help it. I'm not certain Jakob would have survived that one, and I know for CERTAIN I wouldn't have lived to tell the tale if I had done something like that as a kid.
But on the bright side, she can write her name pretty darn good!
I would've reacted the same way (although probably would have added 1 or 2 spankings). But that's awesome how you got it out, and that Maria lived!!
Holy Cow! I'm so glad you figured out how to fix that. Very tricky-I'll have to keep that in mind for when Michael gets that same idea.
Oh my goodnes I can not keep up with how fast you update your blog! I LOVE IT!! GO SISTER!!!!!!! Okay I totaly would have had a freak attack too! I can't belive how well you cleaned it up! I guess this one beats baby powder huh!
Good job Robyn. You did such a good job. Leave it up to you to know what to do! Miss you!
I didn't know you had a blog. Our is http://phbryanfamily.blogspot. That is really funny and horrible at the same time.
You are a genius. You reacted fine. That day live on in my mind forever.
Post a Comment