Friday, August 1, 2008

The Caverns continue!

I suppose this isn't the greatest picture (Lou is the one in the red shirt), but I was trying to show in it how high the ceilings were in many parts of this place


This is something called a skilaktidite (I'm sure that I am butchering that spelling!), formed by minerals that drip down, harden, and eventually become hard rock. They asked us not to touch the active ones (the ones still forming and hardening), since the oils from our fingers turn them an ugly brown, but this was one inactive (done forming), so they told us that we could touch it if we wanted. Although it looks really slimy, it actually felt really neat - cold and smooth.


Here is Lou and the girls posing with the skilaktidite


We even got to take a boat ride along the underground river for part of the tour (this was our boat). There were no motors, and the tour guides just used long poles to push us along through the water - we felt like we were in some kind of Indiana Jones movie, especially the part where we had to turn around because we came up to a waterfall with a drop of about 200 feet!



The light parts of the rock that you see are the reflection of the electric lighting that was here and there throughout the caverns to enable us to see in the dark. These rocks look wet, but they're not, they're just really shiny!

No comments: