"Necessity is the mother of invention" - Recognize that quote? It's from "Little Women", and it's so true!
The girls and I wanted to make s'mores tonight - we had cooked some chicken on the grill (Lou is gone fishing, so I tried my hand at grilling chicken - it didn't turn out so well, but that's a story for another time), so we already had hot coals - s'mores here we come! Well, it turned out that we had the mashmallows and the chocolate, but no graham crackers - not even a decent cookie to substitute - bummer. I was trying to think of somoething we could use when I thought of the ice cream cones that we had, and - EUREKA!!! I had it!
"S'MORE ICE CREAM CONES"
Pure genius, I know.
These suckers were GOOD, not just "oh well, this will do for this time" - I'm talking GO-OD (yes, good enough to be stretched out into two syllables). Even better than I thought they would be. You should try them yourself - even if you have the graham crackers, set them aside, whip out your ice cream cones and give these a try.
Here's what you need to make them:
![]() |
| CHOCOLATE!!! |
Check this baby out - tell me it doesn't look yummy... (actually, it kinda looks like melted ice cream in this picture, but you know what it is, so cut me a break here)
This is what the center looks like once you start eating it - delicious, warm melted chocolate, gooey melted marshmallow and nice crisp, crunchy cone - all perfectly proportioned to one another in taste and texture. Again - genius, I am.
You know what is the BEST part about these? Even though the construction is a bit messy (the marshmallow stuffing part, anyway), these are WAY less messy for kids to eat! All the mess is contained inside the cone! No falling out of the graham cracker and dripping down their clothes or falling to the ground. AND the chocolate melts WAY better than it does with the traditonal graham cracker (I think because it is insultated inside the cone and thus gets way hotter from the hot marshmallow with no outside air coming in to cool it down) . And the taste is sooooo good. I think I may actually like these better than traditional s'mores - better melting and more flavor.
So try these next time you're making s'mores and let me know what you think! My kids went nuts for them!



3 comments:
I'm doing grilled chicken for dinner tomorrow night too! So now I'll have to make a s'more fixin' run to the grocery store. My children will be eternally grateful to you (well, except for Jakob. Weirdo doesn't like chocolate!) :D
Sounds delicious!!!! :)
OMG. That's all I have to say! A must!
Post a Comment