Wednesday, February 2, 2011

More green food - this time, Italian!

Oh, this one is so good, I just had to share it.

Pesto Linguini with Green Beans and Potatoes
I know, you may be thinking "Potatoes and green beans in your pasta? Weird" But don't let it worry you - it is FANTASTIC!! I saw this made on a cooking show, and, being a lover of all things pesto, just had to try it. This is apparently a typical dish often made in Genoa, Italy. I am not even going to pretend that I know where that is or that I've been there, but I give a big two thumbs up to this recipe.

I found a few versions of this recipe on the web, and I took some ideas from this and that and came up with my own version.

Here it is: (you can easily just halve this recipe if you are making it for only two people)

1 pound whole wheat linguini
1 cup prepared pesto (you can use homemade or store-bought)
1 pound green beans, trimmed and cut into thirds (or halved if they are small)
4 small-medium sized all-purpose white potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2" - 3/4" cubes
salt
freshly ground pepper
grated parmesan cheese

Okay, so this is really simple.

#1) Heat up the water for the pasta
#2) Put the pasta AND the potatoes in at the same time
#3) During the last six minutes of cooking, put the green beans in with the potatoes and pasta
#4) When the pasta/potatoes/green beans are done (which should be all at the same time if you have timed it right), drain the whole mess into a collander
#5) Return it all to the pot, and toss with the 1 cup pesto.
#6) Season with salt and pepper as desired
#7) Serve immediatly, with grated parmesan cheese available to add as desired

I was absolutely over the moon for this dish, and was pleasantly surprised at how well the green beans and potatoes went with the yummy pesto flavor.

You could serve this with fresh bread and salad, but honestly, I think this meal stands alone quite nicely. Lou said he would have liked to have plain fried meatballs on the side, but I liked the fact that this dish was nice and filling with NO meat at all (I love me some meat, but I also like a break from it from time to time).

Anyhow, happy eating!

No comments: