Monday, January 25, 2010

I...need...SLEEP!!!

Edward is having sleep issues...well, that' putting it lightly actually. Really, to be blunt, he is sleeping like crap. I don't know how this started, I just know that I want out, bad. At six weeks old, he was sleeping so well - 5-6 hours at a time, and I was thanking my lucky stars that we didn't have another Josephine on our hands (that's a story for another day - the short of it is that she was the worst sleeper EVER, and did not sleep more than a half an hour at a time until she was 11 months old). He took nice long 2-3 hour naps, and I was in heaven. Ah, but that seems like a lifetime ago at this point...

This is a scene not often had at our house right now - Edward sleeping peacefully - oh, how I long for those days again!!!

I am convinced that the miracle blanket (I've blogged about it before), was responsible for his sleeping so well, so young. But, unfortunately, he grew out of it, and right around the same time, his sleeping started to go downhill. First, he just started waking up more at night, and then the naptimes got shorter and shorter. He is now waking up AT LEAST 7-8 times a night, and waking up after only 30 minutes of naptime, which means he (not to mention the rest of us) is chronically overtired. Wow, it's like deja-vu - HELLO Josephine...sigh.

Lou and I are desperate for sleep, and are at the point where we argue through the wee hours of the morning over whose turn it is to go and deal with the screaming angry baby who does NOT want to sleep alone in his crib. There has been more than a few times now that Edward and I are both crying in his room - a pretty pathetic sight, if you ask me.

And in case you are wondering, NO, I did not bring this habit on myself - I made none of the mistakes this time around that I made with Josephine such as:
  • co-sleeping early on
  • nursing the baby to sleep all the time
  • rocking the baby to sleep

Nope, I was determined to not make those mistakes again - I make sure he is drowsy but awake when I put him down, and he falls asleep just fine, it's just that he doesn't stay asleep, and wakes up over and over and over and over, until Lou and I think we just might go mad.

We've tried several things to combat this, including:

The "Swaddleme", made by Kiddopotomas (recommended by a friend). It's a swaddler for bigger babies, and has velcro so that baby can't break free...except for the fact that somehow or other, Edward does (seriously, how does a baby get past velcro straps?), and at this point, he actually really resents not being able to have his hands free at all times (even though he sleeps soooo much better when he's wrapped up tight, since he startles a LOT in his sleep). So, after several nights of failure, we ditched it.


Edward is VERY gassy, so we thought it might be waking him up. I've heard that Mylacon drops kind of suck (and I don't like overmedicating babies with drugs), so Lou found this all-natural anti-gas stuff (with stuff like ginger and anise), and when Edward is gassy, it works like a charm, stopping his crying within 5 minutes and softening up his hard belly...but he still wakes up all night, just not from gas - darn it.


So then we bought a sound machine with all kinds of white noise sounds. Edward loves loud white noise like the vacuum cleaner, the washer, the dryer, the blender, etc. So we thought, "Hey, they calm him down during the day, maybe they would help him be calm and sleep better at night". Um, no luck there either - crap.
At this point, we've spent over $50 trying to get something that would help with this sleep problem, and so far, we have nothing to show for it...
Oh, and yes, we have also tried the "crying it out" method. It worked fine for Maria (our angel sleeper), but not for Josephine, and not for Edward either. We've let him cry up to an hour, at which point his sheets are drenched with tears and he is twitching and gagging like he is having siezures - nowhere near sleepy land.

So, short of selling him on Ebay (no way am I doing that, seeing as the hell I went through physcially to get him here... :), I have no idea what to do. I did everything I was supposed to this time - I didn't "spoil" him by rocking/nursing him to sleep and/or co-sleeping, I make sure his belly is full and his diaper is dry before I put him down. And the two parental units here are just tired beyond all reason on a regular basis. I know that these times don't last forever, and there are bigger problems in life (I'm sure when he's sixteen and mouthy and all that, I'll long for these days), but tell me that at 3 in the morning when I'm in his room for the 5th time that night and I'll probably tell you to shove it - because that's about my attitude in the middle of the night when I've had zero sleep...
So hey, any suggestions out there?


12 comments:

thatmormonlady said...

Has he, or anyone else, been sick? When Sterling was tiny he had constant and chronic ear infections. He was up every two hours screaming bloody murder. It wasn't until I took him to an ENT for some real medication that he started sleeping well. And he didn't really show the typical "cold" signs. Not much of a runny nose, no cough. That's about all I can offer, but as soon as my kids start waking up more than normal, I'm about knocking the doctors door down.

I'm so sorry, by the way. I had many nights where we were both crying.

tarryn said...

Swing?

I read stuff like this and it confirms it for me - "yep, we're done."

Good luck! I feel for you.

Unknown said...

Your baby is soooo freakin' cute!!! I just want to hold him so bad. So do you think you guys would come and visit if we lived in South Carolina? Something to think about? P.S. I LOVE my sound machine they are the greatest things ever!

Adria said...

Maybe with him, you should do the opposite of what you think and just rock him to sleep or whatever the no no's were with Josephine. If the logical doesn't work, try the illogical. :)
Yah, Maria was a really good napper/sleeper. I bet Mom understands seeing as what she went through with me, but that was my WHOLE baby period. I'm lucky she didn't throw me out of a window.

Robyn DeGaetano said...

Oh, and one more thing - we have even tried tummy sleeping, and Edward has declared in no uncertain terms that he HATES it!! Bummer, we tried...

Ericka said...

I wish I could help, Charlie is 15 months and still wakes up 1-3 times a night..I just let him scream it out though, till he goes back to sleep, but like I said, he's 15 months.

Autumn said...

Oh sorry, babies who still need to feed at night are so hard. I have no real advice until they get older. Jer and I have a very loud fan in our room (white noise) and I put it on and then I go to bed-I have no idea what goes on until I wake up again. The great thing is even if I have had a child screaming all night long (which I would never know) they are still delighted to see me in the morning. Go figure? As an aside, this does NOT stop older kids from running in at 3am with nightmares. Good luck.

The Tolboe family said...

Oh Robyn.. I am so sorry. Both my kids have slept great. I know rocking Gavin worked but with Josh, not so much. Josh loves his belly but Gavin prefers his side. I agree with your sister. Try something opposite of what you are doing. You never know. It might have really done bad for Josephine but it might do wonders for Eddy! Keep in touch.

When are you guys coming out here again? I miss you.

Christina DeGaetano said...

ever think about Reflux? Just a thought. My lil one did well with the snuggie thingy too, and when she outgrew it she didn't sleep well at all. We finally contacted doctor who said she had reflux. Once we started her on Xantac (very small amounts), she slept like a charm. Laying down with nothing swaddling her allowed the reflux to cause pain. I don't know, but there you have it. I never thought of reflux with Charlotte because she NEVER threw up like my Olivia did, who also had reflux. Good Luck Robyn! BTW, your family is beautiful!

Bondis said...

I wish I could help you, but I have absolutely NOTHING useful to add to this discussion. I have a 21 month old who screams bloody murder if we even so much as look at his crib. And we've turned into the parenting suckers who just let him sleep in bed with us so that we don't have to deal with the screaming fits all night.

Sorry hun, I hope things get better for you!

Meli said...

is it so awful that this whole thing has made my day! my week! you might want to barf in my face, but i laughed through all of this even the comments. there is only one peice of advice...actually two...actually three....i always rocked joseph to sleep and he slept well so yeah maybe try that no no method....but two realistic peices of advice is:1) get a blanket that is big enough to burrito him yourself....maybe ill video myself and send it to you...im the greatest at it and since it seems like he is lacking sleep right now and thus waking up tons....this might help through nap times. babies at this age sleep from 8 to 10 hours and the feeding before he goes down...i let him nurse for an hour. second peice of advice...is maybe you should stop the crying it out and co sleep with him or rock him and sleep yourself. one thing tyler learned about me is that i am a happier mom when im not letting my bab cry it out. plain and simple it makes me feel horrible. so just do anything to let you sleep until he is of age to really cry it out ...maybe... let me know if this helps. and really ill try to be a good friend and send you a video of myself. love you!!!atelast youre not alone. AND DONT BEAT YOURSELF TOO BAD!!

Unknown said...

Soooo Robyn, I don't always like to give advice, perhaps because I don't always like others Moms telling me what would work for my kids when they are not like anyone else's babies, right? But your descriptions is almost EXACTLY what I was dealing with just 2 weeks ago with Liam (now 9 months), he was up every 30-40 minutes, max of 2 hours night, but mostly a lot less since about 4 months (5 months sleepless for me and husband). So here's what I did. 1. He sleeps on his tummy now 2. I don't wrap him (I did until about 3 weeks ago) 3. I have a very strict nursing at night schedule, so 1st time he wakes I feed him, which is usually around 12am and then he doesn't get to eat again until 6am, i may make an exception if he ate his first night feeding early at say 10pm. otherwise no nursing between 12 and 6. 4. I let him cry for 15-20 minutes, but no longer, he also gets a little nuts after 20 minutes and the cry it out was totally unsuccessful. 5. Here is maybe what I found to be key... keep him in his crib and try at your best to soothe him while he is in there... so binky, or soft toy, or silky blanket, etc. anything that helps him relax. For Liam he likes to scratch a silky blanket (I think he thinks it's my hair, haha) and he usually wants a binky. And Last, if he is really fussy, go ahead and pick him up, but just don't always resort to that, try your best to have him calm in his own bed. Since we have made these adjustments he now wakes at 12 and 6 to eat and sometimes during the night, but usually back to sleep either on his own in 10+ minutes, or within a few minutes when I soothe him when the 20 minute mark is reached. Maybe try and implement some of these techniques. It took us 4-5 days to see real results, but about 2 nights before we saw improvement. Good Luck! xoxox Emily