Monday, October 12, 2009

It's a...BOY?!!

Well, the all-girl trend in the DeGaetano family has been broken. On Thursday, October 8th, at 5:01pm, I gave birth to our very first baby boy!!
Edward William DeGaetano
8 pounds
19 1/2 inches long

Yes, that's right - my runt-sized self gave birth to an 8-pound baby, and I have the sore pelvis to prove it. :)

Here's me looking oh-so-hot right after he was born. I pushed so hard to get him out that I broke capillaries all over my face, neck, and shoulders. It's funny how you forget how painful labor and delivery is - well is it fresh in my mind now - excellent birth control, I would say. :)

Oh, if you could have seen Lou's face when he gave the official "It's a boy!" announcement. His eyes were as big as saucers, and he had this adorable grin on his face, just so full of joy, as if he was a kid going to Disneyworld for the first time!

I have a son! Oh, how weird is that!! Coming from all girls, the whole "boy" thing is still kind of surreal to me, but in an amazing, kind of wonderful way...

My Dad has a grandson!! He stays pretty demure about this things on the outside, but I know he is sooooo excited to have little boy in the family.


I know a lot of women can't wait to get home from the hospital, but I actually love my time there - lots of quiet time to bond with my newest angel...

...and speaking of angels - I just love this sweeet little face :)


All wrapped up - so far, he still loves to be swaddled (my girls hated it once they were a few days old)




Maria in all her glory - our little mama has a baby brother to pamper!


Josephine has this "Aha! I now have someone that I can push around hehehe..." look on her face.
Two sisters and a brother - I wonder which he will like to do more - go hunting with Daddy or having his nails painted by his sisters...

They are so in love with this guy - he will never lack for attention!




The "going-home" picture. We tried to get one with everyone looking happy (Josephine, Josephine), but you know how that goes...

And for those of you who want the labor story, here's the deal. At 3am on Thursday, I thought my water broke, but I wasn't sure. I had the tiniest trickle, and let's face it, at 9 months pregnant, it could have been my water or just lovely pregnancy incontinence, so I just decided to wait it out. I went back to bed and "slept" (do you ever really sleep when you are that pregnant?!) the rest of the night.
The following morning was business as usual - getting breakfast, getting Maria off to school, etc. I was having contractions, but very mild ones, and not with any particular regularity. I went about my day, doing things around the house, spending time wth Josephine. I had hints all day that I was in labor, but I guess I was in denial. I skipped my workout (which I NEVER do, and this should have been a huge hint to me that I was in labor), because I just didn't feel right. I skipped playgroup (which I also don't do) for the same reason. All day I had no appetite (another symptom of labor), but I still didn't think I was in labor. The contractions had some kick to them, but weren't regular enough for me to justify the nuisance of going to the hospital and all that.
I set Josephine up with a sing-a-long video and laid down to take a nap at about 2pm. No contractions the whole time. Them I woke up and started to get ready to get Maria and WHAMMO!!! Contractions 2 minutes apart and seriously intense. I went and got Maria, shuffling to and from her school while breathing through contractions, and went home. I don't know where my brain was, but I still did not call Lou (I think the pain was stopping my brain from functioning - haha). I got the girls a snack, helped Maria with her homework, having to work a bit more to concentrate through contractions. Right about the time that Maria said "Mommy, can you stop breathing like that, please? It's really distracting", reality hit me and I realized that HELLO - I was in LABOR!!!
I called my Mom to come get the girls, called Lou to come get me, and got the girls' bag packed. It only took them 5 mintues to get here, but the contractions became way worse in that time. I could barely walk, and couldn't talk through them at all. Lou drove like a maniac the whole way to the hospital, running multiple red lights and cursing the traffic backed up on 81 south (it was at a complete standstill) while I huffed and puffed my way through killer contractions paired with some AWFUL back labor. By the time I got to the hospital, I was at 9cm and in that phase of labor where the pain is so bad you think you might start climbing the walls. Within a short time of our arrival, I was at 10cm and ready to push - big time. My doctor wasn't there yet (stuck in the same traffic that we were), but the urge to push was completely overwhelming, and much to the resident's dismay (who kept saying "not yet, you can't push yet, you have to wait"), I started. The doctor came in moments later, and after about 30 minutes or so of intense pushing (hence the broken capillaries all over me, and other such side effects that I will spare you the details of...), our baby boy came into the world. There was a bit of a scary moment in there - when his head came out, the umbilical cord was wrapped around his neck, and Lou said that after it was cut, he turned purple, but he pinked up pretty quickly after that, and all was well.
So anyhow, there you have it. It's a good thing that I didn't put off calling Lou any longer, and that he ran all those red lights, or I probably would have ended up having our baby in my husband's truck. :)
We're all doing well here. The girls are overjoyed to have a baby in the house, and Lou is so thrilled to have a son - he is one proud papa, and it's the cutest thing! We feel so blessed that after everything that my body went through with the molar pregnancy, that we have been able to make another baby - it seems like such a miracle to me. :)

12 comments:

angiethompson123 said...

Awww that is lovely Robyn! Good for you and your family. You guys are so blessed and he is so cute. I can't wait to have all of the kids play together when we get back! Love ya

The Tolboe family said...

I love it! Let me fill you in on what happened from out end. Mac came home and I was fiddling on the computer. I was looking at your blog and he heard, Rockin Robyn. He then asked, "Speaking of Robyn, did you hear about Robyn?" I jumped up, my eyes as big as saucers, and asked "Did she have her baby?" It didn't even occur to me to ask what the sex was. Mac looked at me like "Don't you want to know what they had?" I then looked at him, realizing that you guys weren't finding out the sex, and then asked, "Did they have a BOY?!!!???" Mac said yes... I jumped up and down for joy... as if this was my child. I was so happy for you guys. I cried a little because I was so happy that after all you have been through, this little guy came into your lives and has made you this happy. You have kind of made me not want to find out with our third. I don't know if I am that patient!!! Congrats you guys... he is so handsome!

tarryn said...

Aw, finally, a little boy in your family! Congrats. I was grabbing the arm of the couch reading your labor story. Ho-ly cow! Good luck - hopefully that little guy treats you well over the next few weeks!

JN said...

CONGRATULATIONS!!! I'm so happy for you and your family. He is as handsome as ever. I had the same weird feeling about having a boy since I have all sisters. But we sure do love our boy. And high fives for doing the whole labor thing!

Eight is Enough said...

Wow, Lou got a son and got a great "driving to the hospital like a maniac to get there on time" story all in the same day. Lucky man. I am so happy for you guys and hope that you can sit back and enjoy your wonderful family.

Taunya said...

Congratulations! He is so darling. I too came from a family of all girls and had my first boy after my two girls. Caleb likes to dress up because of his sisters but he is still very much boy. Maybe you will find this too but often I am taken back by what he does (sound effects, tackling, kicking, throwing, diving, etc.) I just love the differences. Boys are so fun!

Rachel said...

It is a miracle! Great story. We're so happy for you guys. Beautiful baby, happy family!

Kirsten Treff said...

Hooray! And thanks for sharing your birth story:) Always an interesting read...although I was kind of hoping that a cop would have pulled you over and you could actually use the excuse that you were rushing to the hospital:) maybe next time:)
oh, and lol about your water breaking/leaking. I had the same experience. It wasn't until David came home and it looked like I wet my pants that I realized it was actually happening! (It was hot and humid, and I couldn't see beyond my belly!)

Autumn said...

I love to hear happy birth stories. I was almost born in my parent's car as well and my mom always called me her "Zippity-do-da-baby". I guess you have your own "Zippity-do-da-baby". Congrats, he's beautiful.

melancholyjune said...

RObyn, I felt like I was there with you! Congrats on your handsome baby boy. He truly is a miracle and an angel! I am SOOO happy for you. Love ya!

Kristi the Book Lady said...

He is SO cute! Congrats to you guys! I love the pics of your girls holding him - that's so precious. Our boys are only one month apart!

thatmormonlady said...

Oh, how wonderful! What a crazy story! I don't know how you ignore labor that long! You are crazy! (And that was a lot of exclamation points.)

He's beautiful. I hope you are getting some sleep. :)

Love you guys! Oh, I love the black and white of Lou looking at your kiddos. Incredible pic!