Monday, May 4, 2009

Change comes to the Syracuse Ward

Well, we knew this day would come, and it finally did yesterday in church. My Dad, Bishop Riddel was released from his calling. It was definitely a bittersweet event - I know that a huge burden will be taken off of him, and I know that being a Bishop (especially in a ward like ours, with it's various challenges) makes a man weary in many ways. But, I know that he will be sad to leave this post behind. Most of you know how spiritually and emotionally (not to mention physically!) invested you get in your callings, and it can be very difficult to let that burden go. It kind of starts to feel like that's all you were meant to do, and it's hard to give it up to someone else when you become so attached to those you serve. It's also weird for us (his family) and for him because he has been on that stand in some form for almost 10 years (he was a Bishop for five, and served as a counselor in a couple of Bishoprics for five years before that) - it's weird to think of him sitting in the pews with us! But, I know that he will soon have a new calling that will challenge him in a different way, and that the change will be good for him.

Anyhow, for all of you ex-Syracuse ward members, here is the new Bishopric:

Bishop: James Fairbank (former first counselor to Bishop Riddel)
1st counselor: James Gage
2nd counselor: Matt Bush (former second counselor to Bishop Riddel)

I have seen Bishop Fairbank (wow, that is still weird for me to say!) change so much from the man he was when his family arrrived in Syracuse 15 years ago, and I am excited to see him grow in his new calling - I know he will be great. It was so neat to be there to see this change and to feel the spirit witness that this was right.

Anyhow, so that's the news for the Syracuse Ward, besides all the pregnant women right now! There are so many right now - it's kind of cute. So far for 2009 we have Angie T. - due in the end of June, and having a girl, Christina D. (I don't know how many of you would know her) - due in a month and having a girl, Txeli R. - due in the end of June and having a girl, Connie S. - due in September and having a boy, Kristi H. - due in Septemer (not finding out the gender), Bonnie K. and I are due in October, and Cortnie J. is due in late November (they are not finding out their gender, either). So - 8 new babies this year, the tradition of the Syracuse ward doubling as maternity ward continues!! :)

5 comments:

JN said...

Wow, I can't believe it. Tell your dad thanks for his service from us!

Joe said...

What a big change for your dad - and the ward. I hear there are some upcoming vacancies on the high council that will need to be filled.

Meli said...

i just found out from mady abt that. crazy!! your dad was a great bishop!! it was also amazing to see the growth he had from when we got there to when we left. i bet fairbank will do a gerat job! tell your dad and mom for that matter that we love and miss them! i cant believe how many babies are coming!! it was sad not to see my name there b/c i left. whah!!! ill do it anyway...and melinda in july with another boy. my heart is still in ny.:)

Unknown said...

We love your Dad! He was a great Bishop and helped us grows in more ways then he will ever know! Tell him we appreciated all he did in our behalf! What big shoes to fill! Love you all!

Autumn said...

Yay, You finally don't have to share your dad with a couple hundred needy souls! What great service he did. I'm happy I got to be one of the needy souls. Thanks for sharing.