Friday, August 24, 2012

Breastfeeding issues - part #1 / Am I the only one? #32

Am I the only one who HATES when a company changes a product that was wonderful just the way it was?

I've used Avent Breast pads for years - as in, since Maria was born.  I loved them and have never used any other brand since they are so nice.  The adhesive strip is sticky enough to stay in place, but not so sticky that it leaves a residue.  They are super absorbent and really soft (which means they are comfortable to wear), not at all crinkly like some are.  They are a good price.  I could buy a box of 100 for about $11 - not bad, right?

Anyhow, so I bought three boxes of them before Thomas was born because that's about how many I needed for the whole year of breastfeeding with my other kids.  Well, some how or another, I've burned through almost all three boxes already, and Thomas is just over 3 months old.  I have no idea how I did this - maybe I am leaking more, maybe I was changing them too often (meaning that I changed them when they were wet instead of waiting until they were saturated like I did in the past) - who knows.  So, I went out to buy some more the other day.

My first annoyance was that they changed the packaging - instead of getting 100 for $11, you now get 60 for $10 - um, ripoff, anyone?

My second annoyance was that they completely changed the thickness of the pad, and I hate them now.  They are about half the thickness.  I'm sure the company will tell you that they are just as absorbent, but I find that hard to believe.  This loss of thickness also means that I don't fit my nursing bras properly (yes, I have small boobs), which makes my boobs look um, not too great under shirts.   In addition, thinner pads get kind of crushed and smushed when you push them down to feed your baby.  When you go to put them back in place after a feeding, they are all mashed in weird ways and take some maneuvering to get back to the right shape in your bra.  With the thicker, sturdier version, they just fold right back up into place with no problem.

My third annoyance is the new contoured shape.  This is supposed to be nicer, to fit the breast better, but for those of us who are smaller busted (and again - I am in this crowd, BIG time, no pun intended), the contoured shape just leaves a gap between boob and pad - not good.  Feels weird and looks bad, and let's face it, we all want our boobs to look nice, right?  Don't lie - you do, too.

Oh, and after using trying them out - 2 weird things.  1- as they get wet with milk, whatever they use to make them absorbent turns into this gel-type stuff - very creepy, and reminds me of disposable diapers.  Yuck. 
2 - as they get more and more wet, they start to crumble.  They started to do this after not even 24 hours of wear.  It both looks AND feels gross.

So yeah, Avent used to be the only nursing pad that wasn't ultra thin and contoured shaped and cheaply made, and I loved that about them.  Apparently not everyone did, though, or they wouldn't have changed it, I guess.

Why did I have to go and use up all my pads so quick this time?  Dang it!!

Anyhow else out there have a product that they loved that was changed at some point and now they hate it?

Do share!

4 comments:

Rachel said...

Target changed their disposable diapers once, and I hated them at first then came around...

Here's the irony, though: you use cloth diapers and disposable nursing pads; I use disposable diapers and cloth nursing pads. We are like the bizarro versions of each other.

Good luck, Robyn! :)

thatmormonlady said...

I'm so sorry! I have to admit I was drawn in by the price tag on the Avent pads once and did not like them one bit. They were very obvious under my shirts, and that is pretty awkward when you're in a very-full-of-milk D cup and they girls are already very out there.

I have barely worn nursing pads this time, and really have given up on nursing bras all together because I never could find one that made my girls look the way I want them to. It's totally true, everyone wants their boobs to look good. So, I just bought a couple of cheap, lined bras from Walmart and we get along just fine. Fastening and unfastening were also big pains in my rear. And what if I forgot to refasten?!?!?

Plus, it didn't take very long for my supply to figure itself out, so I would just put a pad on the side that the baby didn't start on. It's worked just fine.

thatmormonlady said...

(My last paragraph wasn't what I wanted to say..) I put pad on the side the baby doesn't start on when we sit down to nurse. Otherwise, I am pad free.

Adria said...

Is it weird that I can't really remember? The ones I used were in a purple box-lansinoh maybe? They weren't the best things-they are thin. I use cloth/washable ones at home, and just had disposables for going out.
That sucks though. No pun intended.