I was eating a kiwi the other day in the kitchen when Maria walked in. She stopped dead in her tracks and said: "Mom, is that the way you always eat kiwis? Like an apple?" I paused, surprised that this was the first time she had noticed me eating a kiwi and said "yes", kind of slowly, wondering what the big deal was. "With the skin and ALL?!", she replied, her mouth gaping. "Yeah - I like the skin", I said. She looked at me, looked at the kiwi, said "Mom, that's kind of weird", and walked back out of the kitchen"
So, is that weird? I guess the fuzziness of the skin in a turnoff for most people (but peaches have fuzzy skins, right? And no one thinks it's weird to eat
them), but it's so tart and juicy, I could never throw it away. I just cut off the top of the fruit and dig in, just like an apple, eating all the way down to the other end (I don't eat the weird stump thingy - that would be really gross). I love how the skin adds some tart to the otherwise really sweet fruit and also adds some texture so it's not all mushy. I don't know - it works for me. Without their skins, they seem a little bland to me. Is it really that strange?
By the way, did you know that 1 kiwi has 3 grams of fiber and 141% of your daily need for vitamin C? 141 PERCENT?! That kicks an orange's butt - crazy. I've always loved kiwi but knowing this makes me love them just a little bit more. Super fruit!!
2 comments:
Wow. I've never seen it done like that! And honestly, I don't buy kiwis often because they're cumbersome to peel. But now I think I'm going to try it your way!
I never knew you could eat the skin! Too bad I will never be able to try it. Josh is allergic to Kiwi... not just slightly allergic. He never even ate the stuff. I put them in the same bowl as his strawberries. He ate all his strawberries and didn't even touch his kiwi. I noticed a red rash around his mouth. I would hate to see what would happen to him if he ate one.
Post a Comment