The summer weather here has been very strange this year - very "non-summer"-like. Unseasonably cool (which this pregnant lady is LOVING!) and very rainy (which this outdoors family is
not loving!). Luckily, that has not stopped the delicious summer berries from growing here, because I look forward to going berry-picking every year. Not only are they MUCH cheaper than what you get in the store, the taste is soooo much better, too, because they are fresh and in season. And I am all for supporting local farmers, so that is an added perk, as well. Here is what we have gathered so far this year:

Strawberries

Yeah, we went a little crazy with these, but we shared some with my mom, and had NO problem finishing off the rest ourselves on our cereal, in smoothies, and in a fresh-strawberry pie
Black Raspberries

These grow wild in our backyard, and also at the end of our street, and we spent many an afternoon picking them as a family - gotta love free food...
Red Raspberries
We have gone twice to pick these now - I just can't get enough of them...

And this is just on here because it was my first pie that I made with a woven lattice top. I have always been scared to do them, and I finally got over my fear and gave it a shot with the blueberry pie I made for Lou's birthday. It wasn't
as hard as I thought it would be, and I think it turned out pretty good!
So even though the weather here isn't the greatest, we are still finding things to enjoy, like delicious summer berries. Ahhhh, the goodness of summer... :)
4 comments:
Oh my that looks delicious! I sure miss the fresh berries and the fun that it is to pick your own. And of course that wonderful looking pie which I am sure if I was there I would get a piece! Tee hee
Those berries look so good! We went berry picking the other day. We managed to eat the entire batch of raspberries in one meal. They are so good. I wish I would have thought to make a pie. C'est la vie.
Yummy! Fresh fruit is always sooo good. Your pie sure looks great.
There is nothing like fresh strawberries. I LOVE strawberries. I eat them every day. My kids eat them everyday. We are growing them in our yard because we love them so much... we won't get them until next year but hey, we're starting right? You are so lucky!
Post a Comment