Saturday, May 23, 2009

New frontiers in cloth diapering?

As many of you may know, I have been cloth diapering since 2003, when my oldest was born. Well, seeing as I am due with baby #3 in just under 5 months, I have diapering on the brain again. I still have my diapers from back when I began motherhood six years ago, but I have since heard so much from so many of my friends about how much the cloth diaper scene has changed in the last six years. See, I have only ever used the old school Gerber prefolds, with the plastic pants and pins and all of that (I know, talk about archaic! :). Yes, they have served me well (they have lasted through two babies!), but we have never been able to use them at night, because they don't absorb enough, and the baby always wakes up soaking, wringing out wet and freezing cold. We resigned ourselves to using cloth diapers during the day and disposables at night. I hated to have to use both, but I didn't really see any alternative.
Well, I have heard so much talk about all of the new options out there for cloth-diapering moms, that I started to get curious. One of the brands that I have heard very good things about is called Gro baby . A friend of mine recently recommended these, and since then, through a bit of research, I have heard wonderful things about these diapers. I checked out the website (see hyperlink above) and they seem so cool! The covers are adjustable to any size baby (meaning you don't have to buy small, medium and large - it's one size fits all!), they use snaps instead of pins (no more stabbing myself) and come in really cute bright colors. More importantly, I have heard that they are super-absorbant, which means no more leaking at night, so I could ditch the disposables altogether! I'm thinking about trying them out this time around, at least for the nighttime use. If we really like them, I might just upgrade my whole supply!
So my question is, have any of you tried this or other new brands of cloth diapers? What have your experiences been?

5 comments:

Bryan Family said...

I have always used disposable but was thinking about trying those on our next baby (not happening in the near future.) We didn't with our first two because we didn't have our own washing machine and I didn't want to store the dirty diapers in our small apartment or wait for a service to pick them up. Let me know how they work out. They seem like a good idea.

Autumn said...

Sorry to be no help here. I was going to do cloth with Eowyn but when I thought about it I realized that because my washer/dryer is practically in the dining room I could not store dirty diapers there and I abandoned the idea. I hope you find the right kind for this sweet baby.

Bondis said...

Girl you know how wild and crazy I am about cloth diapers, so I say you go for grobaby! I have tried pretty much EVERYTHING out there in the new cloth diapering world, and nothing works the way grobaby does. Plus they have the most amazing customer support it's almost unreal. Any time you want to come over to check out all the different options, you know you're more than welcome!

Holly and Autumn- They have these great things called 'wetbags' now that are fabric on the outside, but specially coated on the inside to keep every little bit of stink inside the bag. Our wetbag is stored in our bathroom, right out for the whole world to see, but you'd never guess it was full of dirty, stinky diapers.

Cort said...

I'm glad you wrote this post. I had no idea you used cloth diapers. Obviously, I have never used any diapers...but I have been researching because I plan on using cloth diapers since I'll have a new washer and dryer in almost a month!!! Have you checked out FuzziBunz? They are a little pricey upfront, but hey, if they work...it's better than spending butt loads (no pun intended)on disposable diapers for the next couple of years.

Bondis said...

Cort- I have seven or eight Fuzzi Bunz and I honestly don't think they live up to the hype at all. They are costly, the sized version will cost you an arm and a leg since you have to get a whole bunch in each size. If you get the one sized version, they are REALLY awkward to get adjusted properly and wouldn't fit a baby who was less than 12 or 13lbs (so you'd be sunk with a newborn).