Monday, February 2, 2009

Creations

I think this is really old news, but some of you did request pictures of the homemade gifts I made at our Relief Society Enrichment activity in November. There were lots of options, but I made the decorative mirrors. They looked really easy, but they are not as simple as they appear. They are made using a stencil and spraypaint, and the paint is actually kind of fussy to put on (and make it look good, that is.). I made six altogether, but only photograhed two, since the rest are repeats.


It's actually really hard to photograph a mirror! But I hope you can get the idea of what they look like.


This was one of my favorites - it's the Washington D.C. temple, where Lou and I were sealed (all the funny lines you see are just weird reflections of sunlight bouncing off the walls). I made one for us, and one for my parents (it's where they were sealed, too). I also made one of the Salt Lake City temple.



I took a cake decorating class in January! I decorated three cakes throughout the class, and this one is my second one! It was a lot of fun. Oh yeah, and if you look carefully, you'll notice a chunk missing on the far side. Thank you, Lou...

Here is a close-up of the side. My border on top isn't as nice as the one on bottom - I got better as I went along, I guess...


Here is a close-up of some of the flowers I learned (besides the VERY difficult rose...).
My third cake was way nicer, but Lou sat on our camera recently (and broke it, of course), so alas, we now have no camera. My sister took pictures on her phone, but who knows when, or if I will ever get them.
Anyways, with my newfound skills, I am now looking for any excuse to make a cake!! Any requests? :)

10 comments:

melancholyjune said...

awesome cake robyn!

Kristi the Book Lady said...

Wow! I love the cake! I would love to learn to decorate cakes. My cousin does that for fun. For my 8th B-day she made me the cutest purple octopus and each of it's tentacles were holding a candle. Fun Fun!

Rachel said...

I was just thinking yesterday I should learn how to make those frosting flowers...I'm not sure why. Anyway, I suppose I was thinking that on the two occasions a year I make a cake I might as well know how to decorate it. You are my inspiration.

Chapman family said...

Those mirrors are beautiful! What a cool enrichment idea, and I would like a cake just because. You spend hours decorating it and then send it UPS! Too bad it wouldn't make it through shipping :(. Cake sounds soo good! Great job you Molly Mormon!

Taunya said...

I love the mirrors and the cake looks great. Did it take a long time?

Becky said...

I can't believe you decorated that! You deserve some kind of award :)

Autumn said...

Wow, You have been a busy woman. The cake is beautiful and the mirrors and truly neat. Way to go!!!

Cort said...

Am I your first request? My birthday is May 2nd...you should make me a cake. No...no, I change my mind. I would like those devilishly, delectable chocolate/peanut butter balls. Did I eat part of this cake? Is this the one you brought to the YW sleepover?

Unknown said...

I love it! I just made a barn cake with pig, sheep, and chick cupcakes for Kyle's birthday. I am taking a cake decorating class that starts tomorrow too!! HURRAY!! Hopefully I will get better! I can't wait! You Cake looks AWESOME!!

The Tolboe family said...

Good job! That looks good enough to eat. How did it taste?